Within the Urban Laboratory of Arcosanti, the Maintenance Coordinator holds a dynamic and multi-faceted leadership role. As the director of the Maintenance Department, the coordinator manages a small team of personnel, troubleshoots site-wide facilities problems, teaches the craft of maintenance to incoming workshoppers, develops sustainable system-wide solutions, and participates in the leadership of the Cosanti Foundation.
An ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal, administrative, and management capabilities, will have a comprehensive understanding of plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems as well as other crafts, will embody sustainable and environmentally conscious ideals, will be an effective, articulate, and patient mentor to Arcosanti workshoppers, and will be an active participant in the Arcosanti community. A candidate for a leadership role at Arcosanti must express vision, resourcefulness, competency, and unbounded drive to push the project into the sustainable future.
The nature of the Project requires that all employees participate in a 5-week workshop, where the ideology, history, and the intention of the Cosanti Foundation is communicated and experienced. The workshop also functions as a trial period where potential candidates can find out if the unique live/work context of Arcosanti is a good fit for them, and a good fit for the Foundation.
• Ensure that the functional integrity of Arcosanti facilities, machinery, and infrastructure are maintained.
• Knowledge in plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and H.V.A.C. systems will be applied.
• Prioritize and schedule maintenance projects and staff according to urgency and budget considerations
• Design and build maintenance solutions to facility problems
• Train, supervise and evaluate maintenance staff
• Instruct and train workshop participants and volunteers
• Participate in Habitat and Operations Group Meetings
• Experience in maintenance work or broad-based experience in construction, electrical, plumbing and mechanical work.
• Must successfully complete the 5-week workshop.