Words fail to express the enormous influence Paolo had, and continues to have on the people whose lives were touched by his presence.
Here are some of the major Awards and Honors given to Paolo during his lifetime.
1958 – Honorable mention, Solar House Competition, Association for Applied Solar Energy, Phoenix, AZ.
1960 – Participated in Visionary Architecture Exhibition, Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY.
1963 – AIA Craftsmanship Gold Medal for Excellence in Design (American Institute of Architects). [photo]
1973 – Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
1974 – Arcosanti named Bicentennial Site by State of Arizona.
1975 – Cosanti designated an Arizona State Historic Site.
– Honorary Doctorate of Fine Arts from Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA.
1977 – Honorary Professorship at Universidad Nacional Federico Villareal, in conjunction with participation in the Great Masters of Architecture Reunion (Reunion de Grandes Maestros de la Arquitectura) in Lima, Peru.
1979 – Architectural Design Citation by Progressive Architecture for East Crescent Complex at Arcosanti.
– National Interfaith Conference Art Awards, 2nd Place awarded to “Sculptured Crucifix,” presented by IFRAA: Interfaith Forum on Religion, Art & Architecture, Phoenix, AZ.
– Distinguished Visiting Professor, Miami-Dade Community College, Miami, FL.
1980 – Invited to Interdesign Conference ’80 in Yokohama, Japan.
1981 – Gold Medal of Architecture at the World Biennale of Architecture, Sofia, Bulgaria.
– Key to the City, Mayor of Yokohama, Japan.
– Award of Commendation for an Outstanding Contribution to Education – ASU.
1982 – Elected member of International Academy of Philosophy of Art, Switzerland.
1984 – Silver Medal for Research and Techniques, Academy of Architecture of Paris, France.
1989 – Utopus Award, Third International Conference of Utopian Studies, Universitá degli Studi de Genova, Reggio Calabria, Italy.
1992 – President’s Award for Special Achievement in Environmental Excellence by Valley Forward, Phoenix, AZ.
– Appointed to planning group for Expo2000, Hanover, Germany.
1993 – Historic Planning Pioneer Award from the Arizona Planning Association State Planning Awards Committee.
– Paolo Soleri Day Proclamation, City Council of Scottsdale.
– Certificate of Appreciation, School of Architecture and Planning, University of New Mexico.
1994 – Recognition plaque from Mie Center for the Arts, Tokyo, Japan.
– Honorary Citizen, Comune di Vietri sul Mare by Cittadino Onorario, Comune di Vietri sul Mare.
1995 – Distinguished Achievement Award and Recognized as Architect of Vision, College of Architecture and Environmental Design, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
1996 – Honorary Fellow, Royal Institute of British Architects.
– Governor’s Arts Award, Arizona Annual Governor’s Arts Awards.
– Guest of Honor, International Architectural Forum, Prague, Czech Republic.
– ‘Excellence in Concrete’ Award for the Glendale Community College Amphitheater, presented by the Arizona Chapter of the American Concrete Institute.
– Recognized as a Visionary at the Eight Annual Digital Be-In, Transmission Theater, San Francisco, CA.
1998–2000 – Planning Committee for the Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennial 2000 in the Niigata Prefecture, Japan, at which Paolo Soleri was a featured speaker at the Global Environmental Seminar.
1999 – Environmental Sensitivity Award by the Construction Specifications Institute, Phoenix, AZ.
2000 – Golden Lion Award, Biennale di Venezia, Venice, Italy.
– City AZ Magazine Lifetime Achievement Award.
– Expo 2000 Project Medallion – Hannover, Germany.
– Recognition of Importance in the World of Professions and Enterprise – Associazione Ignenieri e Architetti ex Allievi del Politecnico di Torino.
2001 – Euro Solar Italia Award for Solar Architecture.
– Honorary Degree, Universita di Palermo – Architecture Department, Palermo, Italy.
– Giunta Regionale – Regione Lombardia [Silver metal sculpture with gold metal inlay].
2003 – Commendatore della Repubblica Italiana for excellence in the field of arts and sciences, awarded by Consul General of Italy Massimo Roscigno at State of Arizona Capitol, presented by Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano, Phoenix, AZ.
– Visionary Award of Excellence glass vase, presented by the Internatonal Furnishings and Design Association.
– Trailblazer Award Winner, International Furnishings and Design Association (IFDA) at the 2003 National Conference in Scottsdale, AZ.
– Certificate of Appreciation, Mayor of Paradise Valley.
2004 – Medici Award for lifetime of excellence in the arts, from Art Renaissance Initiative, Phoenix, AZ.
– Montecito Avenue in Scottsdale, AZ, renamed “Via Soleri” in honor of Paolo Soleri’s 85th birthday.
– National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) ‘Man of the Year Award’ for unique vision for a better future and for outstanding community contributions in Arizona.
2006 – National Design Award for Lifetime Achievement from Smithsonian’s Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York, NY.
– Cascieri 14: Lectureship in the Humanities Medal from Boston Architectural Center, Boston, MA.
– Professorship and Academician in the International Academy of Architecture, Sofia, Bulgaria.
– Special Recognition from the Office of the Governor of Arizona, congratulations presented to Paolo Soleri for receiving the 2006 Cooper-Hewit National Design Award for Lifetime Achievement, Janet Napolitano, Governor of the State of Arizona.
2007 – Recognition for Lifelong Committment to Research and Experimentation in Urban Planning, Martin Chavez, Mayor.
– Paolo Soleri Day: September 7, 2007, proclamation by City of Albuquerque and State of New Mexico.
– Savor! Paolo Soleri Event Inspiration, benefiting the Greater Phoenix Multi-Cultural and Arts Foundation.
2008 – Lifetime Achievement Award, Arizona Governor’s Celebration of Innovation, Arizona Technology Council.
2009 – Honorary Citizenship, awarded by the city of his birth, Turin, Italy.
– Lifetime Achievement Award presented at “Architetti e Architetture 2009,” Turin, Italy.
– Stylos Awards, Best Green Project, to Arcosanti, from the El Break organization, Phoenix, AZ.
– Proclamation by Paradise Valley City Council, Mayor of Paradise Valley bestows his best birthday wishes to Paolo Soleri.
2010 – Paolo Soleri Day Proclamation, City Council of Scottsdale, by the Mayor of Scottsdale, Jim Lane.
2011 – Soleri Bridge named as winner of the 31st Annual Environmental Excellence Awards in the category of ‘Site Development and Landscape: Trails’, given by the Valley Forward Association, Phoenix, AZ.
– Soleri Bridge and Plaza named as winner of the 31st Annual Environmental Excellence Awards in the category of ‘Art in Public Places’, given by the Valley Forward Association, Phoenix, AZ.
2012 – Solimene Ceramics Factory (Ceramica Artistica Solimene) selected for the Italian Pavilion at the XIII Biennale of Venice.